B. McNamee & Co Ltd has been supplying the North West’s farming sector and later its building trade for over 70 years.
Founded by Bernard McNamee and supported by his wife Brigid, they acquired premises on Main Street, Newtownstewart in 1949, setting up a wood workshop. Work entailed mainly supplying the local farming community with all sorts of wooden artefacts: sheep/cattle troughs, pig feeders, wooden wheelbarrows and hen houses. Specialising in cartwheels, repairs were also carried out to farmyard carts, ladders, doors, doorframes, and sash windows. Bernard would often cycle out to customer farms to carry out repairs, or fit new doors and windows.
As the years progressed, a circular saw was purchased to assist in his joinery work, and the hardware shop at Main Street, Newtownstewart was opened around 1954-1955. A Bedford lorry was bought, to collect stock from wholesalers and help with the delivery of materials throughout the local area.
Further change occurred when his daughter, Annie Josephine and his son Edmund joined Bernard in the business in the mid 1960’s.
In keeping with the gradual development of computerisation, the company replaced the manual writing of accounts onto computerised accounts in 1985. Also in that year, B. McNamee & Co Ltd expanded, with its acquisition of new premises on a six-acre site in Strabane.
For the full write up on B.McNamee, see our online issue here:
B. McNamee, Park Road, Strabane, BT82 8EL
T: +44 (0)28 7188 2853
E: [email protected]